1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Dale Moss blows up SDSU Pro Day

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Staxxxx, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

288 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Admittedly I know nothing about this guy but stumbled accross a couple of articles about his fantastic pro day workout, started digging and found my new pet cat. Everything I've found sure makes this guy look like a terriffic late round or UFA development receiver. I wanted to know if any of you draft gurus had any background on the guy.

Here's what I know:

Played Basketball at SDSU until his senior year and switched to football. Was the basketball teams leading rebounder and shot blocker.

Videos of Pro Day

Wr 6-4 and goes about 215 to 220 depending on what you read.

Pro Day numbers:

2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,878 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    Sounds like a Miles Austin starter kit. The question is, is he talented as a WR? He is a physical freak, but we've seen tons of them crash and burn. Miles had both talent and was a physical freak.

There has to be a reason nobody really knows much about him.
  3. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

288 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Scout.com Writeup

4. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

288 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Yeah that's the first thing that came to mind for me too. As far as talent who knows.

I'm guessing it's because he only played 1 year and in the FCS at that.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,660 Messages
    5,868 Likes Received
    If he can't run routes then the combine numbers don't mean anything. I suspect he's a good enough athlete to be teachable though.
  6. Staxxxx

Staxxxx Member

288 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Yeah I don't imagine his route running is too refined after 1 year of college ball at that level. Sounds like his head is in the right place though. Here's and excerpt of an interview where he mentions that he's working on his route running

http://www.newerascouting.com/2012/02/20/2012-draft-interview-south-dakota-state-wr-dale-moss/

Scott Porter: What do you feel are your greatest accomplishments?
    Dale Moss: I feel being in the position I am to get drafted I a great accomplishment. I only played one year and I have gotten a lot of publicity so I feel that is a big accomplishment I played 4 years of basketball and I feel all of my hard work is paying off.

Scott Porter: What type of person is an NFL team getting in Dale Moss?
    Dale Moss: They are getting a hard worker who is very responsible and is also willing to put in the extra time to get better. I want to be a student of the game.

Scott Porter: A lot of draft fans have not seen much of you. What type of player will they be seeing?
    Dale Moss: I bring reliability to the game. I attack the ball harder than most WR’s. I don’t care if I have to lay out in traffic for a catch. I feel that ball is mine when it is in the air. I don’t drop passes and I am physical and go all out.

Scott Porter: What areas of your game do you want to focus on to become a better all around player?
    Dale Moss: The areas I will be focusing on will be my understanding of the game from a mental aspect. It is hard to be successful no matter how athletic you are unless you have it mentally. I am working on being real crisp with my routes and improving my route running in general.
  7. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,479 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Even if he isn't a "football player" he's still worth a late round gamble w/ the numbers he's put up.

And how many really knew of Miles leading up to the draft? I'm guessing not many.
  8. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,076 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Can he catch the football? He has great measurables and Combine stats, but unless he has good hands it won't mean much.
  9. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,076 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I really like his attitude. I mentioned in another post that I wanted to know if he could catch. He answered that question in an interview. Also the question of his route running was addressed as well. I would like to see him in a Cowboy uniform in the latter rounds.
  10. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,479 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    In his single year of collegiate football, he's put up 61 rec for 949yds for 6 tds. Yes it was from a small program, but those numbers are pretty impressive for a newbie. Combine the stats along w/ the workout numbers and you have a project worth investing a late round pick in.

I think I have a new pet cat. :)