1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: ESPN NFCE: How Rob Ryan's defense will differ from prior Cowboys 3-4

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 13, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,183 Messages
    9,699 Likes Received
    Jun 12
    3:54
    PM ET
    By Dan Graziano

Your questions are so good, it took longer than usual to go through them all this weekend. We'll get right to 'em.

milroyigglesfan from Anchorage wants to know how the Rob Ryan "amoeba" will differ from the 3-4 defense the Cowboys had in place before he came on as defensive coordinator, and who might be the missing pieces they can seek in free agency.

DG: As I understand it, Rob Ryan's defensive philosophy is similar to that of his brother Rex, which would mean a loose 3-4 with deceptive looks off of which players have the ability to switch if it suits their ability to perform their particular assignments. It requires smart, trustworthy defenders who get what the coaching staff is selling, and for that reason I think there's a chance people might be underestimating the time the Cowboys' players need to get acclimated to Ryan. As for missing pieces, they need secondary help, particularly at safety, where Oakland's Michael Huff seems to be the most popular name in speculation, and could probably beef up at linebacker in case Bruce Carter doesn't pick things up right away.
  2. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,608 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Smart players? Hopefully they won't bust blitz coverages from the LB and DB position whch was the case last year!
  3. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

13,664 Messages
    1,426 Likes Received
    I've been told around here our players aren't very smart.
  4. Bwareinrings94

Bwareinrings94 Active Member

644 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    I can't wait to see a defense that requires dumb players.
  5. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,682 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Part of this is why I think Abe Elam would have to be our most significant FA signing. And since we might go cheap at that position, we might as well go big at CB by getting Nnamdi. Or getting Michael Huff along with Elam.

The guy has the been the leader in the secondary of the Rob Ryan scheme over the last 2 years so I think getting him here is paramount.

Even with Hamlin's poor play, we still noticed the effect of having a coordinator back there. Learning a new defense is not that detrimental when you have a wrong alignment in the 3-4 (and it's still going from a 3-4 to another 3-4 so there's not that big of a difference). It is hazardous though when you blow coverages in the 2ndary, especially the complex ones.
  6. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,799 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Would love to bring Elam back. Liked him when he was here the first time, and I think he is a very good role player.
  7. TD-33

TD-33 Benched

2,542 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good a place as any to leave this;
    Watching the replay game yesterday vs the Colts there was one player that really stood out (not the only one of course) and that was Bradie James. How under rated is this guy? Time after time this guy was crushing people go and watch him, when he hits the runner or whoever they immediately start going BACKWARDS. He was beasting out there. Throwing people around like they were nothing seriously that guy is strong as hell.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Totally agree. Everyone assumes Huff, but I think this is the guy we go after.
  9. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hopefully he favors a "Stopping the offense" style of 3-4 over the "Play 10 yards off the receivers and allow the offense to march down the field" style Wade seemed to love.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,655 Messages
    5,858 Likes Received
    Bradie is strong against the run but he's not great in coverage. He's marginal.
  11. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,050 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    If there is one thing I can ga-ron-tee you about Rob Ryan, he doesn't just run a 34. You can check here and here for the dirty details.

D-

An Example:

[IMG]
  12. TD-33

TD-33 Benched

2,542 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea he's not a coverage guy but he can thump.
  13. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    you realize the example you give shows the offense on the 7
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,569 Messages
    5,499 Likes Received
    No doubt this defense needs help at safety but in recents years under Phillips this defense showed they could play quality football. Heading into last season most who picked Dallas to make it all the way cited the defense as a strong reason and yet that defense failed. I do think Ryan will be able to get in here with his system and get this defense playing up to their ability
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

33,013 Messages
    2,527 Likes Received
    I can't wait to see someone make a mistake and the full beer bellied rage of Rob Ryan.
  16. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

1,259 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Was thinking the exact same thing. That would be Goal Line Defense obviously not a 3-4
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,569 Messages
    5,499 Likes Received
    I'm sure he will get after guys but he too is consider a players coach..

I saw this write up on Rob from a few years back when he as in Oakland.

A half-hour after the Oakland Raiders ended a recent practice, a small group was playing home run derby. More startling is the right-handed hurler with the beer belly and flowing locks whose appearance is a cross between Ken "The Snake" Stabler and David Wells.

It's the defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan, 44. This is his idea of a post-practice diversion. Yes, he's a "players' coach" — and maybe not only for "defensive "players.

A few minutes before the derby, Ryan playfully sized up Jerry Porter as the physically toned wide receiver twirled a bat. "He wants to play defense," Ryan said. "Look at him. He's all gunned up. He's got some defense in there. I'd probably give him his own Superman package. Just let him fly around and whip somebody's ***."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/raiders/2007-09-03-ryans-cover_N.htm