1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: ESPND: Dez Bryant reminds of another No. 88

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 19, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,183 Messages
    9,700 Likes Received
    WR is dangerously close to following in Antonio Bryant's disappointing footsteps

EmailPrintComments19
    By Tim MacMahon
    ESPNDallas.com
    Archive

IRVING, Texas -- So far, so much about Dez Bryant reminds of another receiver who wore No. 88 for the Dallas Cowboys.

They even have the same last name.

OK, Antonio Bryant wasn't exactly the guy Jerry Jones had in mind when he made a big production out of giving the team's 2010 first-round pick that famed jersey number. It was meant as a method of challenging Dez Bryant and emphasizing expectations that he would live up to the standard set by legendary Cowboys receivers Drew Pearson and Michael Irvin.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...antonio-bryant-disappointing-footsteps-dallas
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,573 Messages
    5,505 Likes Received
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,884 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    "He racked up six figures worth of fines for being late to meetings and rehab sessions as a rookie"

I had heard rumblings of him being tardy, but never that crazy amount of fines until this article. I hope that is just McMahon talking trash and not something that he can substantiate.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,321 Messages
    1,061 Likes Received
    Tim MacMahon is a clown.
  6. LandryFan

LandryFan Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000 Zone Supporter

3,295 Messages
    1,058 Likes Received
    Oh please tell us Timmy, with your "on and on and on" comment, what other transgressions has he committed. Seemed to me you got 'em all in that one paragraph. Talk about overexageration and drama in your article...
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

34,294 Messages
    10,427 Likes Received
    People won't like the comparison, but I think it's a fair article. Antonio Bryant was actually a hell of a talent.

Some of us have noticed this. Dez is a phenomenal talent--maybe the best I've seen in a Dallas uniform. He's got a lot to learn about the WR position.

I'll also say, he gets a bad rap for his personality. You couldn't ask for a nicer player in interviews, and everything out of his mouth is team-oriented and appropriate. For a guy who's no rocket scientist, he says all the right things to the microphone.
  8. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,575 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Antonio Bryant was a beast. He was a loose cannon though, in terms of attitude. I don't think Dez is the same way...he's just immature and sometimes ignorant.
  9. Idgit

34,294 Messages
    10,427 Likes Received
    Definitely not the same attitude. But I don't know that the size of Dez's challenge isn't as big.
  10. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,085 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I would like to say for over a year now I have said I am afraid Dez will turn into Antonio Bryant.. Looks like it is heading that way.
  11. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

22,998 Messages
    2,042 Likes Received
    After one full season and 5 games into their second season(21 possible games):

Antonio Bryant
    21 games
    55 receptions
    980 yards
    17.82 avg
    7 TDs

Dez Bryant
    16 games
    59 receptions
    810 yards
    13.72 avg
    9 TDs

Antonio was a very smooth route runner. He didn't lose too much speed going in and out of his breaks. Now, his problem was that he didn't always know which routes to run. Antonio was also very good at fighting for the ball in the air and making acrobatic catches.

Dez is a beast. He is so strong. He does need to learn the finer nuances of being a wide receiver. This is a very common issue for most young receivers. Especially the guys that could physically dominate DBs in college the way Dez did.

Michael Irvin
    16 games
    52 receptions
    972 yards
    18.69 avg
    7 TDs
  12. Idgit

34,294 Messages
    10,427 Likes Received
    No it doesn't.

Dez has challenges, but he's a hell of a football player. He's one of three guys on our offense who can break open a game at any point, and, even inconsistent, he creates fits for opposing DCs. He's got a lot of work to do, but he's going about it the right way as far as I can tell.
  13. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,399 Messages
    233 Likes Received
    The part about getting separation is the key for me. TO, Miles, and Terry Glenn were all receivers that Romo would throw to a lot and they were all better at getting open. Much better. Even Witten's better at it in a different way though you can't really compare the two positions.

An improved line will help by giving him more time to get open, but I still think that much of Dez's problems on the field are due to Dez. I keep reading that it's due to Garrett and/or Romo, but for all the crying about Garrett/Romo not getting Roy Williams more involved during his earlier days here, Detroit fans didn't miss him and Bears fans don't particularly want him now. Dez is better than Roy, but when playmakers don't produce there are almost always holes in their own game that account for much of it. Not all of it, but much of it.
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

22,998 Messages
    2,042 Likes Received
    TO and Terry Glenn had played for several years before coming to Dallas. They had time to develop their skills. Even Austin was given time to develop before he exploded in 2009. Dez is still young and early in his second season. Be patient.
  15. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is article is spot on....
  16. Idgit

34,294 Messages
    10,427 Likes Received
    Yep. I think Romo understands what a weapon Dez is, but he clearly doesn't trust him to be exactly where he needs to be. The biggest problem looks to me to be with anticipating adjustments on routes after the snap. What I think is happening, is Tony's only looking to throw passes after an adjustment where he's got room on the field as a margin for error. Like the 3rd and 21 in the SF game, where he's got time and plenty of room to lead the WR. Having to do that double-check on the fly is hampering the two of them a bit, but there's nothing for it until they have the time to sort it out between QB and WR.

Tony *does* trust Austin to always make the right adjustments, and with good reason, because Miles always does. Miles' problem is holding onto the ball when it gets there. He singlehandedly killed what should have been a scoring drive on Sunday with drops.
  17. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wade gave out that much in fines?

Cant be true...he is too soft
  18. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "He racked up six figures worth of fines for being late to meetings and rehab sessions as a rookie, an issue he has improved but not eliminated this season."

Unbelievable. That's not the first time I heard that either. At the end of last season I believe Nick Eatman or Josh Ellis were saying similiar things.

But please cue the "buh, buh, but what does that have to do with football?" or the ad hominem attacks on the writers......oh look, that's already happened.
  19. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,738 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    I do understand the issues with Dez, and they're a concern to some degree, but anyone putting him in the same catagory at this point, attitude wise or with a chance of getting shipped off the team, as Bryant is stretching it a bit there, IMO.
  20. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,872 Messages
    1,043 Likes Received
    Agreed, just a few weeks ago Sapp made similar comments, and was called every name in the book by some here on the board. Some even went as far as justifying it because of his upbringing as a child.

Nate made similar claims last year about Dez too. Dez needs to wake up and realize that he is a grown man, working for a living, and making good money for doing so. He needs to get off of Madden 12 and into his playbook.