1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Trading back/trade up

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Smashin222, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Smashin222

Smashin222 Member

554 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    New draft scenario for you all --

Let's say Decastro and Ingram are gone. Would you consider moving back in the first round to pick up a 3rd or a 4th. Taking someone like Glenn and then packaging our 2nd and the pick we get to jump back into the first round to grab someone like Konz?

Does that make any sense? Or would we just trade far back enough that we'd make Konz the pick and keep the extra picks? What do you think? Can we still get a guy like Brockers or Glenn while moving far enough back to give us ammo to move from 43 to 28?

Would you rather just take Upshaw if he's there?
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

4,395 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    I would stay at 14 and take Cox. If we trade back I would target Brockers or Knoz. Dont' think they are looking at Glenn.
  3. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,470 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received
    IMO, if we did do a trade down, then I would want to get the extra pick for the 2nd or 3rd round...there is a TON of value in the 2nd round this year, especially for the CB position which we would go after..this assumes, of course, that trading down in the first round netted us who we wanted (Poe for example would be a great candidate if he fell a little)...if we received an extra 2nd or early 3rd in the move, then I may also think about using that on Harrison Smith (S-Notre Dame). My fantasy-based first 4 picks go something like:

1st - Poe (NT and then move Ratliff to DE)
    2nd - Best CB available
    3rd (either high 2nd or late 3rd) - Smith
    4th - (our original 3rd rounder) - Best OL available
  4. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,451 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    The Cowboys should have learned from past mistakes, do not trade down or out of the first round. Take the best player available or trade up for impact player....at #14 they can get an impact player that will be here for years.

Trading down is extremely risky and dumb. There are a lot of good players that will be available at #14.
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,878 Messages
    561 Likes Received
    The only way I trade back is if I can also use the value I got from trading back to trade back into the first round with my 2nd round pick so I can take two late first round picks.

Then I grab Konz and a pass rusher or DE.
  6. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member

3,413 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    Seeing several mocks that have Ingram, Cox and Decastro gone by our pick.
  7. chagus

chagus Active Member

364 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    I think Peter Konz is A MUST DRAFT!!! Center has to be addressed even though i've heard on CZ that Garrett must have a secret plan of sorts with one of the new guys but, i dont know.

KONZ!!!!
  8. Smashin222

Smashin222 Member

554 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    That's what I'm thinking, I feel like we might be able to trade back and grab Brockers in the 1st and then trade back in to grab Konz -- that'd be a pretty successful first two picks, get some D-Line and some O-line help
  9. LandryFan

LandryFan Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000 Zone Supporter

3,295 Messages
    1,058 Likes Received
    I checked in on 10 popular sites (Draft Countdown, Walter's FB, The FB Expert, Great Blue North, NFL Draft Dog, FB's Future, New Era Scouting, Draft Daddy, Draft Ace, and Draft Breakdown), and Decastro was picked ahead of us by 3 sites, Cox by 5 sites, and Ingram by 6 sites. The problem with most of the sites was that they hadn't been updated since FA began.
    There were 10 players that were definitely gone by the time we pick: Luck 10/10 sites), RG3 (10/10), Kalil 10/10), Richardson (10/10), Claiborne (10/10), Blackmon (10/10), Coples (10/10), Reiff (9/10 sites), Poe (8/10 sites), and Tanehill (7/10 sites). So, to pick up on an earlier post, it's like we're picking 4th. :D

Again, when the sites update and consider FA signings, I'm sure their boards will look quite different.
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,933 Messages
    3,672 Likes Received
    Unlessthere is a guy remaing that really stands out for us (which could be the case) I would certainly listen to trade down offers--especially if there was little risk of a talent frop-off.

If you have 5 guys rated in the same tier still on your board at 14, the risk is zero of being hurt by trading down 4 slots. In that case you will be getting free picks at no cost. However, the problem arises if you risk dropping further than that. See 2009 as an example of what can happen when you get too cute AND pick poorly.